US And Taliban Agree In Principle To End 17-Year Afghan War
A senior US government official, speaking after six days of US peace talks with Afghan Taliban militants said that Washington was committed to withdrawing foreign forces from Afghanistan to end more than 17 years of war.
The official, who declined to be identified, described “significant progress” in talks last week with the Taliban in Qatar about a foreign troop pullout, but more negotiations were needed on a ceasefire and its timing.
“Of course we don’t seek a permanent military presence in Afghanistan,” the official said in the capital Kabul.
“Our goal is to help bring peace in Afghanistan and we would like a future partnership, newly defined with a post peace government,” the official told Reuters. “We would like to leave a good legacy.”
There could not be a withdrawal without a ceasefire, the official said.
The issue looms as a sticking point in the next round of talks on February 25, with the US official saying Taliban negotiators wanted a full withdrawal before a ceasefire.
Despite the presence of US-led foreign forces training, advising and assisting their Afghan counterparts, the Taliban control nearly half of Afghanistan and stage near-daily attacks against the Western-backed Afghan government and its security forces.
READ MORE: Suicide Bomb Kills 25 In East Afghanistan
Afghan President Ashraf Ghani said last week that 45,000 members of the country’s security forces had been killed since he took office in 2014.
There were reports last month that the United States was considering pulling out almost half of its forces, but a White House spokesman said US President Donald Trump had not issued orders to withdraw.
However, the administration has not denied the reports.