Footage Released Of Jamal Khashoggi 'Body Double'
Newly-leaked surveillance footage from the killing of Saudi journalist Jamal Khashoggi appears to show a man walking around in the writer's clothes in Istanbul after his killing.
CNN aired the footage on Monday, citing a Turkish official as describing the man as a "body double" and a member of a 15-man Saudi team sent to Istanbul to target the writer.
CNN said the man walked out of the consulate via its back exit with an accomplice, then took a taxi to Istanbul's famed Sultan Ahmed Mosque, where he went into a public bathroom and changed back out of the clothes and left.
The state-run broadcaster TRT later also reported that a man who entered the consulate building was seen leaving the building in Khashoggi's clothes.
Earlier, Saudi Crown Prince Mohammed bin Salman called Khashoggi's son to express condolences for the death of the journalist killed at the Saudi Consulate in Istanbul by officials that allegedly included a member of the royal's entourage.
King Salman similarly made a condolence call as international pressure on the kingdom continues to rise, even after it acknowledged on Saturday that the Washington Post journalist was killed October 2 at the consulate under still-disputed circumstances.
Turkish President Recep Tayyip Erdogan said that he will "go into detail" about the Khashoggi case in a speech in parliament on Tuesday.
Saudi Arabia's explanation that Khashoggi was killed in a "fistfight" and 18 Saudis have been detained has been met with international scepticism and allegations of a cover-up designed to absolve Prince Mohammed of direct responsibility.
Turkish media reports and officials said a 15-member Saudi team flew to Istanbul, laid in wait for Khashoggi at the consulate and then cut off his fingers, killed and dismembered the 59-year-old writer.
"Why did these 15 people come here? Why were 18 people arrested? All of this needs to be explained in all its details," Erdogan said.
The state-run Saudi Press Agency announced the calls to Khashoggi's son, Salah, early on Monday morning. Statements from the agency said both King Salman and Prince Mohammed express their condolences for his father's death.
The call comes after a leaked photograph apparently taken from surveillance footage shows Maher Abdulaziz Mutreb, a member of Prince Mohammed's entourage on trips to the United States, France and Spain this year, at the consulate, just ahead of Khashoggi's arrival.
Mutreb's name also matches that of a first secretary who once served as a diplomat at the Saudi Embassy in London, according to a 2007 list compiled by the British Foreign Office.
Saudi Arabia so far has not acknowledged or explained Mutreb's presence in Istanbul - nor that of a forensics and autopsy expert, also on hand for Khashoggi's arrival at the consulate.
Turkish news agency Anadolu Agency reported Sunday that Khashoggi's fiancee, Hatice Cengiz, has been given 24-hour police protection.