Attack On Iran Military Parade Kills 25
Gunmen disguised as soldiers have attacked an annual military parade in southwest Iran, killing at least 25 people and wounding 60 in the bloodiest assault to strike the country in recent years.
Gunfire was sprayed into a crowd of marching Revolutionary Guardsmen at Ahvaz on Saturday, with bystanders and government officials watching from a nearby riser.
Suspicion immediately fell on the region's Arab separatists, who previously only attacked unguarded oil pipelines under the cover of darkness.
Iran's Foreign Minister Mohammad Javad Zarif immediately blamed the attack on regional countries and their "US masters," calling the gunmen "terrorists recruited, trained, armed and paid" by foreign powers.
That further raises tensions in the Middle East, as Tehran's nuclear deal with world powers is in jeopardy after US President Donald Trump withdrew America from the accord.
"Iran will respond swiftly and decisively in defence of Iranian lives," Zarif wrote on Twitter.
The attack came as rows of Revolutionary Guardsmen marched down Ahvaz's Quds, or Jerusalem, Boulevard, which -- like many other places around the country -- has an annual parade marking the start of Iran's long 1980s war with Iraq.
Images captured by state television showed journalists and onlookers turning to look toward the first shots, then the rows of marchers breaking up as soldiers and civilians sought cover under sustained gunfire.
"Oh God! Go go go! Lie down! Lie down!" one man screamed as a woman fled with her baby.
In the aftermath, paramedics tended to the wounded as soldiers, some bloodied in their dress uniforms, helped their comrades to ambulances.
The state-run IRNA news agency said the attack killed 25 people and wounded 60. It said gunmen wore Guard uniforms and targeted a riser where military and police commanders were sitting.
"We suddenly realised that some armed people wearing fake military outfits started attacking the comrades from behind (the stage) and then opened fire on women and children," an unnamed wounded soldier told state TV. "They were just aimlessly shooting around and did not have a specific target."
Details about the attack remained unclear immediately afterward. The semi-official Fars news agency, which is close to the Guard, said two gunmen on a motorcycle wearing khaki uniforms carried out the attack.
Khuzestan Governor Gholamreza Shariati told IRNA that two gunmen were killed and two others were arrested.
State TV hours later reported that all four gunmen had been killed, with three dying during the attack and one later succumbing to his wounds at a hospital.
Who carried out the assault also remained in question. State television immediately described the assailants as "takfiri gunmen," a term previously used to describe the Islamic State group.
Iran has been deeply involved in the fight against IS in Iraq and has aided embattled Syrian President Bashar Assad in his country's long war.
But in the hours following the attack, state media and government officials seemed to come to the consensus that Arab separatists in the oil-rich region were responsible.