Donald Trump Confirms North Korean Summit Will Go Ahead As Planned
The on-again, off-again meeting is indeed back on again.
What you need to know
- Donald trump cancelled the summit late last month
- A top North Korean official met with Trump in the White House to deliver a letter from Kim Jong Un
- It has since been announced the meeting will continue as planned on June 12th in Singapore
US President Donald Trump says a nuclear arms summit with North Korean leader Kim Jong Un will now go ahead as scheduled on June 12 in Singapore.
Trump cancelled the historic summit late last month, citing Pyongyang's "open hostility".
"I think it's probably going to be a very successful, ultimately a successful process," Trump told reporters on Friday on the White House lawn after meeting with a senior North Korean official in the Oval Office.
Kim Yong Chol, a close aide to the North Korean leader, was the highest level figure from the secretive state to hold talks at the White House since a senior envoy visited former president Bill Clinton in 2000.
After exchanging threats and insults since Trump became president last year, the US and North Korea have been trying to set up the summit between their leaders.
Trump wants to use the meeting to pressure Pyongyang into giving up its nuclear weapons.