Cricket Australia Rules Warner, Smith And Bancroft To Serve Full 12-Month Bans
The playing bans for disgraced Aussie cricketers Steve Smith, David Warner and Cameron Bancroft will not be reduced, after Cricket Australia decided to let their original suspensions stand.
The Australian Cricketers' Association had called for the trio, involved in the infamous 'sandpaper-gate' ball tampering scandal in South Africa, to have their playing bans reduced or overturned.
However, in a decision handed down Tuesday, Cricket Australia decided on review to not amend its original decision.
Smith and Warner, the team captain and vice-captain respectively, had received 12-month bans for their role in the scandal -- Bancroft, the bowler who actually attempted to tamper with the ball, was handed a nine-month suspension.
"The Cricket Australia Board has carefully considered all elements of the ACA submission and has determined that it is not appropriate to make any changes to the sanctions handed down to the three players," Interim Chair Earl Eddings said on Tuesday, noting that the board had reconsidered the previous sanctions after a plea from the ACA.
"CA maintains that both the length and nature of the sanctions remain an appropriate response in light of the considerable impact on the reputation of Australian cricket, here and abroad."
"Steve, David and Cameron are working hard to demonstrate their commitment to cricket and have our continued support to ensure their pathway to return is as smooth as possible."
The ACA had claimed the trio had already suffered enough and learnt their lesson, after being rubbed out from the game, losing leadership positions, enduring financial penalties, and suffering "humiliation."
"My message to Cricket Australia is a simple one. These contrite men have been punished enough. Let them play," said ACA president Greg Dyer last month.
However, Cricket Australia was not receptive to the plea.
"We believe the ongoing conversation about reducing the sanctions puts undue pressure on the three players – all of whom accepted the sanctions earlier this year - and the Australian men's cricket team," Eddings said.
"As such, the Cricket Australia Board does not intend to consider further calls for amendments to the sanctions."
Eddings said he recognised the decision would be "disappointing" for the ACA.