Barnaby Joyce Sex Harassment Investigation Ends With No Determination
"This outcome simply isn't good enough," Joyce's accuser said.
A Nationals internal probe into sexual harassment allegations against Barnaby Joyce has been unable to reach a determination against the former deputy Prime Minister, according to the woman who lodged the complaint.
The NSW branch of the National Party announced on Friday it had finalised its investigation into claims Joyce had sexually harassed Catherine Marriott, a member of the Western Australian branch of the party.
The complaint related to an alleged incident at a Canberra hotel in 2016.
"The report will be kept confidential. The complainant and respondent have both been communicated with and advised of the outcomes," the party said in a short statement.
However, Marriott also released her own statement on Friday criticising the party for not taking action. She claimed she had been informed the party was unable to make a determination in the matter "due to insufficient evidence".
"The result of this investigation has underpinned what is wrong with the process and the absolute dire need for change. This outcome simply isn't good enough," she wrote.
Marriott said she was "extremely disappointed" she had waited eight months and made several trips -- at her own expense -- to meet with party officials as part of the probe. She also criticised the fact her name and details of her complaint, which were meant to be kept confidential, had been leaked to media.
The existence of the investigation, as well as calls from WA Nationals state members for Joyce to resign, were major factors in his decision to step down from the deputy Prime Ministership in February.
In March, a Nationals investigation into the complaint ruled political interference had compromised the situation, leading to Marriott's case becoming public.
More to come.