NRL Players Plead Guilty To Nudity Charges In Mad Monday Scandal
Adam Elliott and Asipeli Fine have been placed on good behaviour bonds after pleading guilty to public nudity offences committed near the Sydney Harbour Bridge during Canterbury's Mad Monday celebrations.
Elliott, 24 and Fine, 26, were both charged after a news photographer captured them nude on the balcony of the Harbour View Hotel at The Rocks in early September.
Prosecutor Jamie Palmer on Monday told Downing Centre Local Court they were "in view of the BridgeClimb and matters of the like".
The two players were supported by teammates in the court where they entered guilty pleas to a charge of wilful and obscene exposure.
Magistrate Jane Mottley subsequently placed both men on two-year conditional release orders without recording convictions. She labelled their behaviour "disgraceful".
Andrew Stewart, acting for Elliott, had earlier argued his client's future career prospects would be severely affected if he was convicted.
Fine's lawyer, Elias Tabchouri, said his client - who'd written an apology letter - had no criminal record and "this incident is two minutes out of the whole day".
Tabchouri initially tried to argue that Fine's matter should be dealt with under the Mental Health Act but that application was ultimately rejected.
During the unsuccessful application, he said his client was getting help for an adjustment disorder with a background of anxiety and depressive symptoms.
He's now out of contract and since the Mad Monday bash he's been dealing with media scrutiny and a significant hip injury, the lawyer said.
"On the day in question ... in the back of his mind he's got the issues about his contract, he drank alcohol and the rest is history," Tabchouri said.