'Disgraceful' Brawl Sees Father And Son Charged With Assaulting Police

Two police officers have left work “broken men” after allegedly being attacked by an angry pole-wielding father and his son in western Sydney.

Rafiq and Nigel Kennedy were arrested and charged with assaulting police officers on Friday night.

Three undercover police from Granville’s proactive unit were in Doonside just after 6 o’clock to seize a suspected stolen car.

The black hatchback went missing from a Granville residence a day earlier and had been tracked to an address on Helios Crescent, Doonside.

They believed a 16-year-old boy was in possession of it.

The 16-year-old police believed was in possession of the stolen vehicle.

However, as the plain-clothed officers inspected the vehicle it’s alleged the two men attacked them with an iron rod,

Police say one officer, a 23 year-old, was punched in the face repeatedly and his shoulder was dislodged from its socket.

The other officer, a 29 year-old, fractured his thumb and suffered cuts to his leg.

This all unfolded in front of a female, student officer who police say was left shocked.

“I came outside and I (saw) people punching each other, running around and into the house,” neighbour Lucy Bangura said.

“I saw one of the males had a bat, or something bat-like in their hands, and was hitting them… my aunty told me to call the police.”

One of the men allegedly involved in the brawl with police.

They soon realized they were police when one officer was forced to draw his gun on the 55 year-old. The other used OC pepper spray to subdue the men.

About a  dozen police arrived within minutes apprehend the two men and  boy.

READ MORE: Police Chief Arrests His Own Son After Attack On Elderly Man

All three were taken to Blacktown Police station where the 23 year-old and his father were charged with assaulting an officer in the execution of duty occasioning actual bodily harm.

On Saturday, Superintendent Daryl Jobson described the attack as “cowardly” and disgraceful” saying acts of violence towards police is not tolerated.

“This is a cowardly attack on police officers who turned up to work fit and ready for duty and they’ve gone home broken men,” he told reporters.
One of the men allegedly involved in the brawl with police.

“It’s no surprise that (the officers) are shaken by these events but they remain stoic and professional.”

Both officers are expected to be off work over coming months and will be supported by the force during this time.

They men were released on police bail to face court s in eleven days.

The 16 year-old was also released pending further inquiries.

Featured image: Kimberly Pratt 

Contact the author kpratt@networkten.com.au