Launceston Seige: Police Storm Home Of Gunman Ending 17-Hour Ordeal

Tasmania Police have stormed the home of two people following a seige in the state's north. 

Police ended the 17-hour ordeal when they broke into the Launceston property.

A 40-year-old woman and a 24-year-old man who barricaded themselves inside the home are now in Police custody.

Police confirmed on Saturday morning that 33 shots were fired overnight and 14 nearby residents have been evacuated, with no-one injured.

Officers negotiated with the pair in the hope a peaceful outcome.

The stand-off began on Friday afternoon when police went to the New World Avenue home in the suburb of Trevallyn as part of an ongoing investigation.

Tasmania Police Commander Brett Smith told the ABC about 34 police officers had been deployed to deal with the situation at any one time.

"We're pretty well resourced for this particular type of incident, and we see this as something that is unnecessary, but we're more than adequate and capable of providing the necessary response," he said on Saturday.

He said police had a range of specialty units to provide front-line support, including members of the Special Operations Group and the bomb response group.

"Police are attempting to negotiate with both the occupants to a peaceful resolution. This will be our strategy going forward."

Detective Inspector Philippa Burk had told The Mercury that police had negotiators in place to peacefully resolve the situation.

"At this point in time we are not treating it as a hostage situation," she said on Friday night.

"My best advice to both of them is to surrender, put the gun down ... and hand yourself in to police."

A number of nearby homes were evacuated as a precaution and police advised members of the public to avoid the Reatta Road area until further notice.

Featured Image: Getty Images.