102-Year-Old Man Charged With Indecent Assault Of Nursing Home Resident
A man accused of indecent assault is the oldest person charged with a criminal offence in NSW in nearly a quarter of a century.
Police allege the 102-year-old man assaulted a woman in her 90s at the Bupa aged care facility at Waverley, where they both reside, on Tuesday afternoon.
Staff from the facility contacted police, and officers took the man to Waverley police station where he was charged with aggravated indecent assault.
He will face court on November 20.
The man was granted conditional bail, and Ten Eyewitness News understands both the man and woman continue to live at the 71-room facility.
However, a spokesperson for Bupa said they were living on separate levels of the property, with a door code required to move from one level to the other.
A staff member was also keeping a close watch on the accused man at all times, a spokesperson said.
In a written statement, Bupa said:
“We sympathise with the resident and her family for what they are going through, and we are deeply sorry that this alleged assault occurred in our care home.”
“The safety and wellbeing of our residents is our utmost priority and we contacted the NSW Police and Department of Health as soon as we became aware of the matter.”
“As this matter is currently before the courts we are unable provide further details.”
The NSW Bureau of Crime Statistics said it could not find any record of a 102-year-old person being charged with any criminal offence in its data stretching back 23 years.
There had been 45 instances of 100-year-olds being charged with an offence, however all but one were traffic-related.
The one exception was a fraud case in 2002.