Charges Dropped Against Man Accused Of Terror Plot

Mohamed Kamer Nilar Nizamdeen spent four weeks in supermax jail, but on Friday police dropped terror charges against him in Central Local Court.

Mohamed Kamer Nilar Nizamdeen spent four weeks in super max jail, but on Friday police dropped terror charges against him in Central Local Court.

The Sri Lankan student, who works at Sydney’s University of NSW, was accused of an ISIS-inspired plot that allegedly included high-profile targets such as former Prime Minister Malcolm Turnbull, former foreign minister Julie Bishop, and iconic Sydney landmarks including the Opera House.

The 25-year-old was freed on bail last month after the sole piece of evidence against him fell apart, a notebook containing an alleged terror manifesto. It wasn’t in Mr Nizamdeen’s handwriting, according to experts.

Lawyer Moustafa Kheir told reporters his client will now apply for legal costs as well as take action in the New South Wales Supreme Court.

“What authorities have done to this young man is absolutely unforgivable,” Kheir (main image) said outside court.

“It’s a terrible experience, as a young man who has done everything right in life, he has gone through supermax jail in unforgivable circumstances.”

Police refused to apologise for the man's stay in jail.

"We believed we had enough evidence at that time to effect an arrest in relation to this matter... right through the investigation we have acted in good faith," said Assistant Commissioner Ian McCartney.

"Based on the evidence we have got at this stage it is likely he did not write the comments in the notebook but there are still a number of questions we have to have answered in relation to the investigation."

The matter will be back before court in November.

Feature image:  Mohamed Nizamdeen's Lawyer, Moustafa Kheir, leaves Sydney Central Local Court (AAP)