Former Archbishop Philip Wilson Gets Home Detention

Victim Peter Gogarty said he was disgusted the disgraced Catholic official will now begin a “holiday with his sister”.

Adelaide Archbishop Philip Wilson will begin serving home detention after being convicted of concealing child sex abuse.

Victim Peter Gogarty said he was disgusted the disgraced Catholic official will now begin a “holiday with his sister”.

In a heated exchange outside court on Tuesday, a member of Wilson’s entourage told Gogarty he “didn’t have the time for rubbish like you”.

Wilson was handed a 12 month sentence. Image: AAP

The 67 year old was found guilty in May of failing report the historical abuse of two boys by paedophile priest Jim Fletcher in the NSW Hunter Region in the 1970’s.

He became the most senior Catholic in the world to be convicted of covering up sexual abuse.

Wilson was sentenced to 12 months' detention with a non-parole period of six months.

In a proceeding that lasted less than five minutes, Magistrate Robert Stone told the Newcastle Local Court on Tuesday that Wilson had been deemed suitable for home detention.

Wilson arriving at Newcastle Local Court on Tuesday. Image: AAP

Outside court, his defence barrister Ian Temby QC said the intention was to lodge an appeal against the conviction but not the sentence. He will be eligible for parole on February 13, 2019.

Facing increasing calls to resign, Wilson wrote to Pope Francis last month to resign from his position as Adelaide Archbishop.

“Though my resignation was not requested, I made this decision because I have become increasingly worried at the growing levels of hurt that my recent conviction has caused within the community," he wrote in a letter to priests.

Leaving court on Tuesday, he refused to comment.