Large Hailstones, Damaging Winds: NSW Severe Thunderstorm Warning
A severe weather warning has been issued for areas in south-east NSW, with thunderstorms likely to produce large hailstones and damaging winds.
People in the state's Southern Tablelands, ACT and parts of the Illawarra are being warned to brace for the thunderstorms which are expected to hit over the next several hours.
The Bureua of Meterology issued the warning at 5:30pm on Monday.
Areas which are likely to be affected are Braidwood, Canberra, Goulburn, Cooma, Bredbo and Adaminaby.
The next warning is due to be issued at 8:30pm, but if severe thunderstorms develop in Sydney, Newcastle, Wollongong or surrounding areas, a more detailed warning will be issued.
The State Emergency Service advised that people should:
- Move your car under cover or away from trees
- Secure or put away loose items around your house, yard and balcony
- Keep at least eight metres away from fallen power lines or objects that may be energised, such as fences
- Report fallen powre lines to either Ausgrid on 131 388, or Endeavour Energy on 131 003 or Essential Energy on 132 080, as shown on your power bill.
- Unplug computers and appliances
- Avoid using the phone during the storm
- Stay indoors away from your windows, and keep children and pets indoors as well
- For emergency help in floods and storms, ring the SES (NSW and ACT) on 132 500.