Archbishop's Concealing Child Abuse Conviction Quashed By Court

The conviction of Catholic archbishop Philip Wilson for concealing child sex abuse in the church has been quashed by a Newcastle court.

Wilson was the most senior Catholic official in the world to be convicted of concealing sex crimes, when found guilty in May.

He appealed his sentence successfully in Newcastle District Court on Thursday, appearing via video link from his sister's Central Coast home.

The Adelaide Archbishop, 67, had been sentenced to 12 months home detention in July. He had been found guilty in May of failing to report to police the historical assault of two altar boys in the 1970s and 80s.

The magistrate found Wilson wanted to protect the image of the church when he concealed the actions of paedophile priest James Fletcher in Newcastle.

Wilson had resisted calls to resign as archbishop, saying he would appeal his sentence.

The Catholic Archdiocese of Adelaide welcomed Thursday's decision.

"We note the outcome of the judgement handed down today by Judge Roy Ellis in Newcastle District Court and welcome the conclusion of a process that has been long an painful for all concerned," Administrator Delegate, Father Philip Marshall said in a statement.

"We now need to consider the ramifications of this outcome."

Marshall said the Archdiocese remains committed to providing "the safest possible environments for children and vulnerable people in our care".