Dreamworld Inquest: Draining Water Revealed Another Victim
A Dreamworld paramedic was trying to resuscitate one of the victims of the Thunder River Rapids ride tragedy when the sinking water levels revealed another victim, an inquest has heard.
Paramedic John Clark arrived to the Thunder Rapids Ride moments after the raft flipped in October 2016, killing four people.
The experienced safety officer revealed he initially thought there were three victims, not realising a fourth was still underwater.
"When I was attempting to resuscitate the patient... I don't know if the water receded... or the gentleman floated out... there was another patient," Clark told an inquest into the Dreamworld tragedy on Wednesday.
Clark said it was impossible for him to know how much time had passed from when he began work on the patient to when the fourth victim was revealed.
"If I was to tell you a time I'd be completely guessing," Clark said on Wednesday.
First aid manager Shane Green told the inquest there was little medical staff could do.
"If you had the world's best cardiothoracic surgeon, neurosurgeons, traumatic surgeons... with all their equipment... nothing would have changed the outcome," she said on Wednesday
Clark, who no longer works for the park, is one of four ex-employees who have begun legal action against Dreamworld's parent company Ardent Leisure for psychological injuries suffered in the tragedy's aftermath.
The inquest was also shown an email sent from a union representative before the fatal accident advising management to eliminate human error on the ride by having just one button for operators to hit in an emergency.
The letter raised concerns staff were having to pee at their rides, leaving their rides unattended and even being hospitalised with a kidney infection because relieving staff were taking too long.
The letter was sent after a similar incident in November 2014 on the Thunder River Rapids ride where two rafts containing visitors collided.
No one was injured in that incident but ride operator Stephen Buss was sacked for breaching park safety protocols and on Wednesday told the inquest he was never allowed to view the security vision.
In the letter the park is warned "some staff believe that supervisors are out to get them" and this was affecting performance.
At the time of Buss's termination, staff needed to hit four buttons in a sequence to correctly shut down the ride.
Buss told the inquest he didn't have an issue with the four-button procedure but conceded a single button shut down would "eliminate a time problem".
Buss said he was "confused" when he saw television footage of the 2016 tragedy, as shutting down the conveyor in an emergency had been "drummed" into him during his training.
"I don't know why (the ride) wasn't stopped," he said.
Buss also said he never undertook a practical emergency drill during his eight years at Dreamworld.
On Wednesday the barrister for Kim Dorsett, who lost her daughter Kate and son Luke in the 2016 tragedy thanked first responders for everything they did.
Featured Image: AAP