Western Australia Rejects Payment For Electrocuted Girl
The WA government has rejected a proposed partial settlement for Denishar Woods, the 11-year-old girl who suffered a catastrophic brain injury after a severe electric shock at a public housing property, a support group says.
The National Indigenous Critical Response Service, which has been supporting the Perth girl's family since the incident, says the government's decision to reject making the $3.2 million payment is "morally and politically abominable"
"I beg the state government to review its disgraceful decision to fail to advance the family some of the inevitable compensation," national co-ordinator Gerry Georgatos said on Monday.
"It's no skin off their nose to do what will be lifesaving for the family."
Mr Georgatos told AAP the full settlement for Denishar was likely to run to between $10 and $15 million to cover the cost of her care for the rest of her life.
But he said that could take several years to finalise and the ex-gratia payment would ease some of the family's enormous financial pressures.
Denishar's mother, Lacey Harrison, said she was "shell-shocked" by the government's decision which would "strand my daughter, my children, myself as a mother".
"We should not be in this deplorable position where we've got to wait years for the compensation," she said.
The WA government was being contacted for comment.
However, last month it approved an act of grace payment to allow the family to buy a specially-modified vehicle.
Denishar was shocked with up to 230 volts when she touched a garden tap at a Beldon property in March.
The incident remains under investigation by the Building and Energy Division of the Department of Mines, Industry Regulation and Safety.
Mr Georgatos said the department had repeatedly suggested a result was just weeks away and he could see no justifiable grounds for why it was taking so long.