Mass Evacuation After Chemical Leak At CBD Hotel

Three floors of a Sydney hotel have been evacuated after a suspected chemical leak, with more than 20 people affected and more transported to hospital.

Ambulance and fire crews were called to the Pullman Hotel, in the city's CBD, on Wednesday morning after chemicals leaked into the ventilation system.

A Fire and Rescue NSW spokesperson told ten daily there had been a "minor spill of a chemical" on the 22nd floor of the hotel, which has since been "removed".

"Levels 20 and 21 of the building were also evacuated as a precaution. A number of people are being treated by ambulances," the spokesperson said.

The Pullman Hotel, on College Street in Sydney

An ambulance spokesperson told ten daily the incident was linked to "possibly chemicals mixed in the wrong way." Ambulance later said the incident was linked to a mix of chlorine and hydrogen chloride, with some affected people reporting "tingling in the throat".

There were 24 patients who reported suffering irritation and respiration issues, with eight transported to hospital.

"Pullman Sydney Hyde Park staff were conducting maintenance to the pool on the roof of the property," the hotel said in a statement to ten daily.

"The dosage of the pool chemicals was incorrect, leading to a non-toxic irritant gas being emitted and entering the adjacent air intake. This resulted in some areas at the top of the hotel being evacuated."

The hotel said one staff member was still being assessed by medical staff.

"The health and safety of our guests and employees is paramount and the property has since been tested by NSW Fire Brigade and deemed safe."