Advertisement

William Tyrrell Investigators: "Come To Us Before We Come To You"

A new, forensic search for William has commenced in the town of Kendall, where he went missing from in 2014.

What you need to know
  • A new, forensic search for William Tyrrell is underway, more than three years after he went missing
  • About 50 officers are combing the bushland around his grandmother's house in Kendall, where he went missing from in 2014
  • The purpose of the search is to prove conclusively that William went missing via human intervention, not misadventure
  • Any evidence found will be presented to a court, either criminal or coroner About 50 officers commenced a forensic search of the semi-rural bushland today, where William Tyrrell went missing more than three years ago
  • Police hold "grave fears" for William
  • This is a forensic search of a 3km square area to find evidence that William disappeared as a result of human intervention, not misadventure

A new search is officially underway for William Tyrrell, more than three years after he went missing from his grandmother's home in the mid New South Wales coast.

The focus of this new search has shifted to a forensic investigation, with more than 50 officers spending the next three to four weeks combing a three square kilometre in the semi-rural town of Kendall for any trace of the missing child.

Addressing media today, Detective Chief Inspector Gary Jubelin said that the purpose of this new search is to produce evidence that William's disappearance was due to human intervention, not misadventure.

"This extensive search is so that we can produce evidence to take into either a coroner's court or a criminal court," he said.

When William first went missing on September 12, 2014, age three, an initial search team of local police, SES volunteers and community members combed an 18-square kilometre area in search of the then three-year-old.

This new search -- which covers an area one-sixth of the size -- is coming from an investigative point of view. Jubelin said they hold "grave fears" for William, but that "until we know conclusively that William is not alive, we'll treat it with the possibility that he is still alive."

He also issued a strong call for information, and reminded the public that there's an unprecedented $1 million reward for the recovery of William, not, as is usually the case, for a criminal conviction. It is the highest such reward ever issued in New South Wales.

"I strongly believe that there are people out there who have information on this and I want to make a point to those people that if you do have information concerning what happened to William, you are committing an offence if you do not come forward.

"Come to us before we come to you."

Police are conducting a forensic search of the nearby bushland.

Over the three-and-a-half years since William's disappearance, police have collated some 15,000 pieces of evidence and identified more than 100 persons of interest.

Most of the people were "low risk" persons, Jubelin clarified, with a "much lower" number of "high risk" persons.

He also fielded questions about connections to a local paedophile ring, confirming that no lines of inquiry had been closed.

"That line of inquiry was a couple of years back, it was a legitimate line of inquiry that we explored but it did not lead to the charging of any person," he said.

Jubelin thanked the local community for their ongoing cooperation in the search, and said that he was in close communication with William's extended family, as they have been throughout the investigation.

"Every day in a living nightmare for them," he said.