Robert De Niro Apologises - But He's Not Sorry To Trump

SORRY NOT SORRY.

After unleashing on US president Donald Trump at Sunday night’s 72nd annual Tony Awards, Robert De Niro has apologised -- except he’s not actually sorry to Trump himself.

Rather, the 74-year-old has apologised following Trump’s behaviour following the G7 Summit, which was held in Canada last week.

Speaking on Monday in Toronto where he’s developing a restaurant alongside celebrity chef Nobu Matsuhisa, the actor told the crowd:

“I just want to make a note of apology for the idiotic behaviour of my President,” he said, CBC reported, with the crowd cheering. “I apologise to Justin Trudeau and the other people at the G7,” he added.

Following the summit in Quebec, the President announced he was withdrawing from the G7 joint statement on trade, blaming Canadian Prime Minister Justin Trudeau for his decision.

Trump later lashed out at Trudeau, calling him “very dishonest” and “weak”, while US trade adviser Peter Navarro said there was a "special place in hell" for the Trudeau.

De Niro received a standing ovation from the star-studded crowd at the Tony Awards after declaring, “I’m going to say one thing: F**k Trump! It’s no longer down with Trump, it’s F**k Trump.”

Following his apology, De Niro told CBC Toronto that while he doesn't see himself as politically-inclined, he is angry and frustrated with Trump's behaviour.

"I have no choice but to speak out," he said, adding, "This guy just is a jerk."